- 28 Jan
1 Tathra Beach
Tathra 2550, NSW
Tathra Beach (NSW 659) occupies the mouth of the Bega River and curves to the south for 3.3 km from the usually narrow mouth at Mogareeka Inlet, to the base of 700 m, long 30 m high Tathra Head. The beach is backed by a continuous narrow foredune and the Tathra-Bermagui road. The northern 1.5 km is a sandy spit, with the golf club and caravan park behind the centre, and houses of Tathra spreading up the backing southern slopes. A beachfront caravan park backs 500 m of the southern section with the Tathra SLSC (founded 1930) in the southern corner. Waves average 1.5 m along most of the beach, dropping slightly in the south. They maintain a single bar cut by rips every 200-300 m (Fig. 4.418). The rips alternate between being attached and detached depending on wave conditions. In the southern patrolled area the bar is usually attached between the rips (Fig. 4.420). Past the rocks at the southern end the sand continues along the base of the cliffs, however rocks front the sand making it an unsuitable area to swim. The Tathra Wharf is located out on the head. The restored wharf, built in 1862, is one of the few remnants of the 19th century era of coastal shipping.
The southern patrolled area usually has the lowest waves and is patrolled during summer, however rips still dominate. Be careful if swimming up the beach as rips dominate with the inlet and its tidal flows at the northern end.